How long for colour to develop?

For all your General Discus questions

Moderator: DPH Moderators

How long for colour to develop?

Postby Mark Woodhouse » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:04 pm

Hello again after 3 years, i have been out of Discus keeping and 2 weeks ago just set-up another tank...I know the answer to this question will depend on a hundred different variants but in general there must be sort of a guideline!...Right then, Question 1...Do the Blue Cobalt's have their full colour pretty much straight the way and if not, when (age or size) have they usually stopped colouring up?...Question 2...How long is it (again, age or size) until the red or blue Turks have stopped colouring up?...Thanks for your help, Mark.
GONE FISHING
Mark Woodhouse
regular visitor
regular visitor

Re: How long for colour to develop?

Postby Tony Vaughan » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:34 pm

Hi Mark :welcome:

IMO and this is generally speaking most strains should not colour up fully until they are adult fish, therefore about 12 - 18 months depending on the strain. Even when a fish is growing the colour does not cease changing. The snakeskin that won DB '10 looks a little different today than he did over a year ago. I know cos I saw him 3 weeks ago.

Blue Turks and Cobalts are a good strong strain and should colour up well as juvvies and should increase little by little into adulthood. The next colour change (assuming the fish is not ill) I think should occur when the fish are in breeding mode. They should become darker. As they go from a mature adult to a fish that is a few years old the colour again changes to one that is a little more dull.

HTH.

Best Regards...................Tony
Tony Vaughan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mark Woodhouse » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:40 pm

That's good to know, thanks mate!...This is the 1st time i've had little Fish and at the minute, the Turks are very brown so i'm looking foreward to the colour arriving...Once again, thanks for the info :thumbsup:
GONE FISHING
Mark Woodhouse
regular visitor
regular visitor

Postby Tony Vaughan » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:05 pm

YVW, and don't forget that to add to the complexity we must not forget that lighting, food, water, mood etc etc can all change how a fish looks to the viewer :wink:

Best Regards..................Tony
Tony Vaughan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mark Woodhouse » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:27 pm

That was all the variants i was thinking about in the original post, but a rough idea is fine, thanks!
GONE FISHING
Mark Woodhouse
regular visitor
regular visitor

Postby Tony Vaughan » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:42 am

YW :wink:

Best Regards.........................Tony
Tony Vaughan
Administrator
Administrator

Return to General Discus Questions