Need help with my little rams Please..!!!

This is the place to get quicker replies to your posts regarding any of the fish or articles in this section of DPH.

Need help with my little rams Please..!!!

Postby Paul Tordoff » Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:39 pm

Hi everyone,
Before i take any action i would like some advice about my rams, in my main discus tank i have two little rams, a fun little pair, they feed well, pooo well, swim well, really friendly, when im cleaning inside the tank the swim in between my fingers and around my arm, when i pour in fresh water they like to sit in the flow and enjoy the bubbles.

One of them has developed 4 spots around one eye, i can only describe them as ZITS, yellowy white, clearly not ICH, but pimples size.

The spots dont seem to be bothering the little fella, my first thought was they look like some kind of cyst, would it be a good idea to whip him out into a bucket of HIS tank water and treating with anti fungus.?

If yes, and i place him in a bucket of Interpet anti fungus, how long do i keep him in there for.?

Thanks
First i had 3 in 1 tank, then 8 in two tanks, now 14 in two tanks, where else can i put a tank.?? I`m running out of rooms.!!
Paul Tordoff
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Fred Goodall » Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:47 am

Hi Paul :welcome:

Sounds like either "fungus" or protozoan so yes... that would be first choice... but would rather see the treatment done in heated and aerated small tank so that treatment could last per instructions.
Regards,

fred :hat:

"You see things; and you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say, "Why not?""(Bernard Shaw)
Fred Goodall
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Paul Tordoff » Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:17 pm

I whipped the little guy out into the hospital tank for treatment, but it now looks like 3 of my corys has it too, they all have a white zit on the end of their snouts.

Im gonna hold back on treating the main tank until i know exactly what it is or until i see any kind of blemish on the discus, it doesnt seem to be bothering any of the fish, no darting or scraping etc..

Will try to get a close up photo of it all.
First i had 3 in 1 tank, then 8 in two tanks, now 14 in two tanks, where else can i put a tank.?? I`m running out of rooms.!!
Paul Tordoff
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Fred Goodall » Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:16 am

Yes sir, now that other fish have come down with "it"... must treat the whole tank.
Regards,

"You see things; and you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say, "Why not?""(Bernard Shaw)
Fred Goodall
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Paul Tordoff » Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:07 pm

[fullalbumimg]2202[/fullalbumimg]

This little girl is still in the hospital tank, have dosed with interpet number 8 (i think) well the fungus and finrot one.

Doesnt seem to be making much difference if im honest, she`s feeding really well, still as active and the spots dont seem to be irritating her. Where the white spots have been have now left small dips in the skin, she is currently developing another small white spot at the top of her fore-head, smack in the middle.

Please take a look at the pic and see if anyone can identify what the hell they are.

I also suspected some of my cory`s of these white lumps too, but i have held off on treating the whole tank until i knew exactly what they where.

The cory`s seem to have totally cleared up, i havent seen anything on the cardinals or indeed any other fish in the tank, i even got to thinking that these white spots are part of the fish, some kind of cycle they go through before mating or something like that.? dont know.

Could it be an internal parasite causing skin ulcers.??

Please help, i dont want to lose this little girl.
Paul Tordoff
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Fred Goodall » Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:37 am

Lets see if you can locate Flagyl / Metronidazole and we actually want to dose her food at rate of 1.5 grams Metro into 100 grams of meat mix and feed that to her as her only food for 7 days... examine her head at that time and 'see where we stand". All the fish in the "family" that the Cichlids are in tend to be much more supceptable to S. vortens infections and when that disease is under treated... we see the "late" stage of "Hole In The Head" / HITH or also known as "Head and Lateral Line Erosion".... still each one is a symptom of infection by S. vortens. So... we need Metronidazole for treatment to finish off the infection. I believe Interpet # 9 and Waterlife Octozin are the two UK products that are compounded with Metronidazole.
Regards,

Fred Goodall
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Paul Tordoff » Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:09 am

OK cheers Fred, will give it a try, i`ll keep you posted.
Paul Tordoff
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Andrew Pollock » Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:47 pm

metronidazol is a prescription only medication in the U.K so it should not be in any aquarum products available over the counter

never the less protozin does have a large internet (rumour?!) that suggests it is metronidazol
waterlife have never responded to my direct questions

recently at atlantis aquatics i saw azoo antiparsite medication being solfd in the uk with a combination of effective prescription medications listed as ingredients

andrew
Andrew Pollock
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Rob Charite » Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:57 pm

Damage incorperated
-Salty Dog-
Rob Charite
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Paul Tordoff » Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:59 pm

Paul Tordoff
Rookie
Rookie

Return to Discussion Forum for this catagory